Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"Now We'll Both be Super Saiyans."

I haven't had a nerd post in a while and I am in a massive nerd-out mood so here we go.

You see, I was weirded out/excited to see Dragon Ball Z back on TV as Dragon Ball Z Kai on NickToons. I was weirded out because I thought FUNimation was edit crazy but that was nothing compared to the 2-episodes-into-1 editing Nickelodeon has done and excited because, well, it's DBZ.

I was 14 when I "discovered" anime. My uncle was involved in a "new" company called TokyoPop. He sent my grandma some Sailor Moon, Harlem Beat, Card Captor Sakura and miscellaneous one-shots. She saw the Sailor Moon and gave it to me. The bag sat in my room for about a month before I checked it out. I loved it. I asked for more and can proudly say I have all original 11 English Sailor Moon manga.

Around that time we got cable again and Cartoon Network had just launched Toonami. I watched Sailor Moon because I'd been reading it. After it Gundam Wing came on. I had no idea what was going on at first but about every 10 seconds something blew up and I dug it. I had zero interest in the show my brothers watched after Gundam, called Dragon Ball Z. Only geeks watched cartoons and I was pushing it with my athlete friends openly talking about 2.

The first episode of DBZ I watched was right after Vegeta is defeated and I was very much "WTF? Why is there a flying cat? This is stupid." I didn't watch again until they put it between Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing. I watched part of The Namek Saga and really started to like it. Then Trunks came in and I was sold.

                       

I'm not going to lie, this was only the second time I had ever wished a cartoon character could be a real person. He was a beast (I love Eric Vale's voice too)  ... and my second ever "cartoon crush".

Gambit from the '90s X-Men cartoon was my first cartoon crush. I was, like, 8.


Yep. Told you I was a nerd. If they were real, the world would be much cooler. I never took it too far (reading some things online from girls who really did love him got scary) but I could call it a crush.

In high school, my friends and family knew I loved Trunks. I got lots of Trunks stuff for Christmas my sophomore and junior years. But then DBZ was off the air and I refuse to accept Dragon  Ball GT (I don't normally get hardcore but ... sad day).

Anyways, I'm saying this because Trunks showed up in DBZ Kai and I watched it last night. They edited out most of his beast parts, sad day. But, this Christmas FYE had a huge sale. Knowing I had no Trunks on DVD (only VHS) my family got me The Trunks Saga and The History of Trunks movie. I felt like I was 14 again but loved it. After being disappointed by 2 of my favorite lines being cut I popped in my DVD and watched the first 4 episodes he is in.

I had forgotten how much joy DBZ brought me. I've never been a true Otaku status but I do enjoy it.

Lately, I've been too serious. It was nice to nerd-out for a bit.

Also the title of this blog is a line Trunks says. My brother, Ben, and I reminisced how it was in the teaser, and later all the previews, for DBZ on Toonami when we watched it last night.



Okay ... that's enough for now. But that's a pretty cool scene.

'Nuff Said,
Crysania

1 comment:

  1. I totally enjoyed reading this blog post.

    I remember my first anime..
    It was the intro to Pokemon, and I never watched an episode but it looked cool.
    Then DBZ started playing and I got addicted, I watch pretty much anything now.
    Haha.
    :)

    ReplyDelete