Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"Though I know I'll Never Lose Affection For People and Things That Went Before"

So today is my best friend's birthday. Happy Birthday Kristin! Ha, you are now 24 and old like me!

Today is my best friend's birthday, Friday is my nephew's birthday ... I've already missed one of my niece's birthdays, my mom's, dad's and cousin Darnell's birthdays. These are all people I am close to. I hate not being near to celebrate or not being able to send gifts yet. Today, it bummed me out.

I wanted to talk to them, to see them, to give them a present and eat some ice cream or cake or ice cream cake but I can't. I've yet to make any real friends here as well. I was told that part would be difficult but when I stop to think about it, I miss already having friends close by. 

I really like my job. I like the kids, I enjoy the classes, I think the teacher's are very nice and helpful. I come home everyday tired but in a good mood. But sometimes, when I see that barrier of not only language but the one from not being at one school all the time and being familiar with your co-workers, I feel isolated.

I've taken 2 Intercultural Communications classes so I know mentally what I'll be going through, but really feeling isolated and really missing home is different. It's hard to be somewhere new when you love where you came from. 

But still, I feel like I'm supposed to be here and the good is outweighing the bad. It's challenging and some days I feel very alone, but during the course of the day I often get a "pick-me-up" from my kids. I get a "Crys-sensei! Asobimashoo (Play with us)!" or a little group yelling "Hi Crys-sensei!" from down the hall or have a particularly fun class and I can't help but feel blessed for this experience. 

The lonliness does come and go and I know it will continue to as I have only been here a couple of months. I don't think that's a bad thing though. I'm lucky to have people I love and miss so much. People who supported me and send me e-mails and Facebook messages or stay up until 1:15am to talk to me via Skype.

The title line is from "In My Life" by The Beatles. It doesn't totally go with what I'm saying but I love the song. So here it is:



 'Nuff Said,
Crysania

No comments:

Post a Comment