Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I want to set him ... so badly

I first saw a volleyball game in 2nd grade, and immediately fell in love with the sport. While watching, there was one player that really caught my attention - she was my teacher's daughter, her name was Tina, she was the second shortest on the team and she was the setter.

I was always aware of the fact that I wouldn't be very tall (throughout elementary and jr high I was the shortest or 2nd shortest in the class) so I figured that would be the best position for me to play. When I first learned how to play the coach told me I was a natural setter and I never looked back. From 6th grade on, I was a setter.

I LOVE being a setter. It's really the only position I think I was meant to play. I know all the mechanics of hitting, I can pass, play the net and serve but setting makes me happy. That being said, I play in a co-ed adult league in Montclair and I have met a man I want to set sooo badly, it's ridiculous!

He's tall, athletic, maybe in his late 20s and not bad looking but none of that really matters ... this man can hit a volleyball!! We've played his team a couple times already and I've wished he was on my team but last night he asked his setter to set one of my favorite outside sets - a shoot - and she couldn't do it. When you have a hitter like this guy (no, no clue what his name is) who can hit just about any set to any place on the court and he asks for a shoot you just HAVE to deliver!

I've set many kinds of sets - huts, flies, shoots, slides, Cs, 4s, 2s, 3s ... but a shoot is definitely one of my favorites and it has been ever since I had the opportunity to set a fantastic outside hitter capable of hitting the set well, consistently (a wonderful OH from Kentucky named Jules). To find a hitter who likes hitting them and CAN hit them ... well it'd be a dream come true.

If you don't know much about volleyball the best way to describe the feeling of finding a hitter like this is ... it's like a quarterback finding a receiver they know can catch anything or ... a pitcher who can have complete confidence throwing that low breaking slider because the catcher won't let it go ... finding a hitter that can handle a variety of sets is just .... wonderful.

So every time I see this guy I just can't help it; I want to him ... I want to set to him so badly ...

'Nuff said,
Crysania

No comments:

Post a Comment